In 1990, a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Walter H. Lowry was made through the Benjamin T. Pitts Foundation to honor Mrs. Lowry’s father, Benjamin T. Pitts. Benjamin Pitts was a state senator representing Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Orange, Goochland, and Louisa counties from 1944 until poor health forced him to resign in 1958. Earlier in his career, he was appointed to Fredericksburg's City Council and served from 1933 - 1940. He owned a successful chain of movie theaters throughout the state, including downtown Fredericksburg's Colonial Theater. Mr. Pitts was five times president of the Fredericksburg Chamber of Commerce and served a two-year term as the state director. He was also a director of Farmers & Merchants State Bank. The Benjamin T. Pitts Foundation distributed college scholarships to deserving high school seniors throughout the area. He died in 1964.